Friday, April 15, 2011

How To Run A Business

"I don't need you to think of me as a person! I have women for that!" -- from Coupling

I went for a run earlier today, and on the way back to my apartment, I stopped into my new favorite coffee shop. This place hasn't been open long, but it's a double win in my book -- not only does it make the best espresso on the upper east side, but it employs a baristo who always greets me with "Hello, gorgeous," "Good morning, my love," or something similarly soul-warming.

Resplendent in sweat-drenched Under Armour, I stepped up to the counter to place my order. A barista I've never seen before was manning the register while my usual guy stood near her.

New Barista: Hello. What can I get for you today?
Me: Hi. A double americano with room, please.
New Barista: No problem. That'll be $2.71.
Me: Here you go.
New Barista: Thanks. Your americano is coming up on the right. Have a great day, beautiful.
Usual Baristo: Isn't she beautiful?! I always say that!

This, folks, is how to inspire customer loyalty.

(And please don't judge me for drinking double shots of espresso after working out.)

No comments: