Monday, January 12, 2009

Eruption

"And suddenly, the whole world exploded." -- from Jersey Boys

Sorry about my absence; it's been a busy, fretful fortnight. I spent many long nights performing data abstraction, but I met a seemingly impossible deadline and have two new credentials to show for it. I was ill for two days last week, which I'm blaming on dehydration. I'm also rereading Jane Eyre and have written several drafts of a blog post in an effort to isolate my feelings about it, but it's still a work in progress.

In the meantime, here's a recipe for miniature cheesecakes that I invented tonight. The quantities and methodology don't differ too much from my Polish grandma's old recipe (save for lots of ingredient swaps and the wholly Italian use of ricotta), but for some odd inexplicable reason, these babies puffed up like muffins in the oven! It was all for the best, though -- I chilled the tray after I pulled it out, which caused the puffs to collapse upon themselves in superdense black holes of deliciousness. I either didn't beat the filling long enough or overfilled the trays, but for the first time in a long time, I have no intention of trying to rectify the culinary mistake.

Miniature Cheesecakes

Crust:
3/4 cup crushed Oreos
2 tbsp melted butter

Filling:
½ cup cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup sugar


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Food-process Oreos and butter until a crumbly paste forms, then press into the bottoms of two lined miniature muffin trays. (One regular muffin tray or half a dozen small ramekins will probably work as well -- just add ten minutes to the baking time.) Mix filling ingredients until smooth, then spoon filling into trays within 1/4 inch of the top. Bake for fifteen minutes or until the filling starts to brown. Chill before serving. They'll look hideous but they'll taste delicious.






No comments: